If it is so important to have accountability in our professions (which it is for me, or else I could lose my job), shouldn’t it be just as important, if not more, to have accountability in our personal lives, too? In my opinion, our roles in personal relationships are far more important than any professional role will ever be. Yes, I’m a school counselor, but I’m also a daughter, a granddaughter, a sister, a friend, etc. So, I need to look at how I can integrate accountability into all of these roles, as well.
Am I being the best daughter that I can be? How can I be a better one? What are my goals as a daughter and what steps am I taking to meet these goals? Are they effective?
Am I being the best friend that I can be? What can I do to be a better friend?
…sister?
You get my point.
Something else we must be accountable for is taking care of ourselves. I'll call it the "caretaker of self" role. Sometimes, this is the role we most often neglect because we're so focused on our effectiveness in other roles; forgetting all about self-care. In reality, I cannot possibly be World's Best daughter, friend, or sister if I'm not taking care of ME, as well. (FYI: It is not selfish to take care of yourself!)
Am I taking care of myself the best I possibly can? How can I start treating myself better right now (mentally, physically, and emotionally)?
Am I taking care of myself the best I possibly can? How can I start treating myself better right now (mentally, physically, and emotionally)?
Evaluate your effectiveness in each of your roles. Answer these questions honestly. Are there some things you need to start holding yourself more accountable for? Are there some roles you need to improve in? Are you spending way too much time in your "parent" role, and not enough time in your "caretaker of self" role, or vice-versa? If so, make a conscious effort to find some balance. Take time to reflect on these things often. Set some goals and then take the steps needed to improve your effectiveness...
Hold yourself accountable!
BC
Hold yourself accountable!
No comments:
Post a Comment