Although I’ve always had goals in life, I was never much of a “goal-setter” until about a year ago. Instead of just thinking about my goals, I intentionally set them now, look at them often, and take the steps I need to reach them. I have goals listed in the Notes section of my phone, and I also have a small vision board in my room with pictures and words on it that depict my goals. Seeing them daily is a constant reminder for me to stay on track. When goals remain in our thoughts only and lack a plan of action, they are easily forgotten about and are most likely never reached.
And since 2011 is half-way over, now is a good time for me to reflect back on the goals I made six months ago to see where I stand and how much progress I’ve made. I also need to update my list and set new goals, if necessary.
Other than a few small “bucket list” goals, these are the main goals I set for myself this year:
- Take more risks. I definitely could’ve been more specific with this one, but I do think I’ve taken more risks than I used to, so it works for me. Update: Take even more risks!
- Get back in shape and maintain it. This is a work in progress, but I’ve come a long way and plan to keep it up indefinitely. Update: Eat healthier, drink more water (without drink packs), and continue workouts.
Find a permanent job. Done...finally! =) Update: Be more effective in my job than I’ve ever been before.- De-clutter and simplify everything. I’m getting there, little by little.
- Buy a house! I’ve started “browsing” and can’t wait to buy my own home!
Overall, I think I’ve done pretty well staying on track so far. I’ve also updated and extended some of my goals and still have more work to do. It's important to set new goals once old ones have been met. Start small if you need to, but don't be afraid to challenge yourself.
Unfortunately, we can’t just wave a wand and magically reach our goals. It takes thoughtful and intentional effort to be successful in achieving them. So, what are your goals and what are you doing to reach them? Remember, they must be set, tracked, and worked towards on a regular basis.
- Write them down and put them in a place where you will see them often.
- Consider all the steps that need to be taken and the resources you may need to reach them.
- Tell someone your goals. This way, you will hold yourself more accountable for them.
- Take action.
- Track your progress regularly.
And don't let discouragement get in your way. Maybe you've set some goals in the past but didn't reach them for whatever reason... that's okay. Failing in the past has nothing to do with your potential today. Now is the time to re-set your goals. Don't wait until next Monday to "start fresh" on them either. Start now. Stop waiting, and start doing!
-BC
“Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.”
- Vincent van Gogh
- Vincent van Gogh
No comments:
Post a Comment