Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"I Sent You 2 Boats, You Big Dummy!"

I watched The Pursuit of Happyness today for the first time. It’s such a great story and definitely a tear-jerker! One of the cutest parts in the movie is when the little boy tells his dad the story about the man who was drowning... A boat came to rescue the man but he said, “No, thank you. God will save me.” Then another boat came to help him, and the man refused again, “No, thank you. God will save me.” Then he drowned and went to heaven. He asked God, “Why didn’t you save me?” And God said, “I sent you two boats, you big dummy!”

I actually just recently read a similar version of that story, so I thought it was funny to hear it again in the movie. When we sit around waiting for things to happen for us, but refuse to put in any effort on our part (just like the man who was drowning), we miss out on the opportunities we’ve been waiting for. Stop wishing to be “rescued” or “saved” from something…whether it’s unemployment or being unhappy with your job, addiction, weight issues, or any other problem that you have some control over, stop waiting and start doing something about it!

There are some people who depend on fate and destiny way too much. They have the mentality that “if it’s meant to be, it’ll happen.” Ummm, reality check- it doesn’t always work that way! The problem with this little cliché is that it is incomplete. It’s missing a very important part. This is how I think the phrase should read instead: “if it’s meant to be, it’ll happen because I will do everything I possibly can to make it happen!” Fate and destiny will not do their part in our lives until we do our own part first. Take responsibility for your life and your future. If the opportunity you’ve been waiting for is nowhere in sight, get out there and go find it!

On the other hand, we might see the opportunities that are right in front of us, but choose not to take them... I almost missed out on a great opportunity last year because, like the man in the story, I had blinders on and was too focused on getting that one great, picture-perfect opportunity. I was offered a temporary position at a freshman high school. For one, I wanted something permanent, not temporary. Secondly, I really didn’t care to work with 9th graders. In my mind, I had always pictured graduating and finding the perfect job immediately. A temporary position wasn’t the route I wanted to take, but I knew I had to do something. Fortunately, I came to my senses and realized that I couldn’t wait around for that “perfect opportunity” that may never come. I absolutely loved that job, the people I worked with, and the 9th grade students. I will be forever grateful for that opportunity for so many reasons! If there is an opportunity knocking at your door that you know may lead to great things, open your eyes and grab it, even if there is a temporary downside that comes along with it.
 


Whatever you do, don't be the man who drowns...            
   
Lots of love,
BC


"Know that you are not waiting on Destiny but that Destiny is waiting on you."
-Tony Gaskins Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment