Friday, April 15, 2011

Self-Control

Every morning I take a few minutes to eat a small breakfast before getting dressed for work, and this morning was no different. Later, I arrived to work and found out there were two boxes of Krispy Kreme donuts in the lounge. Had no one ever said anything or given me permission to have one, I would have never known they were there because I rarely go into the lounge before lunch time. But now I knew, and now I was tempted. I guess we all have pretty good self-control as long as we’re not tempted, right? So, what did I do? I gave in to the temptation, of course. That donut may have just been the most amazing donut I’ve ever eaten! I think I even said those exact words out loud when I finished it.
Then my self-control was really put to the test… I was given permission to have another! Uh-oh!!! I started bargaining with myself about calories…maybe I can skip lunch; I’ll work it all off at bootcamp later; what’s an extra 200 calories going to hurt? Then I stopped myself. No, Brittnie, you CANNOT have another one! It was hard, but I remembered what my goal was and I didn’t let temptation win again.

Temptations are only temporary. If we can allow ourselves to ignore them when they arise and choose to keep the end in mind instead (by remembering why we should not give in to the temptation), our self-control will prevail.
-BC

No comments:

Post a Comment