Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Right Frame of Mind

I was driving home from the gym this evening, listening to the radio when suddenly this lousy (and untrue) thought entered my mind. That one thought led to others… "I probably won’t have this job next year; I probably won’t get the other job either because I don’t have enough experience; maybe so-and-so just don’t like me," and so on. A little later I realized that I was suddenly in a really grumpy mood, but didn't understand why or where it came from. I even started getting on my own nerves and was determined to figure out what it was that had upset me so much. I'd had a good day at work, no one had been rude to me or cut me off while driving home, so what in the world was going on? As I retraced my own thoughts, it finally dawned on me.... That one negative thought from earlier led to another negative thought, then another and BAM! Before I could even realize it, I had entered into a negative frame of mind. We're all guilty of it at times. Once I realized exactly what had happened (and that I was the one responsible for it happening), I was able to separate those crazy thoughts from reality and "step" back into the right frame of mind.
The mind is very powerful and can also be tricky at times… and because it directly influences our emotions, actions, and overall attitude, we need to check it often to make sure it’s in the right frame.
-BC

No comments:

Post a Comment